P

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Matchbox is finally using a non-CA state livery!, Paul should like this ...
BrabusAMG
Posted: Apr 28 2016, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 75

Hey Paul (and anyone else who collects Matchbox),

The new Matchbox Design Team has announced one of its upcoming models (not sure whether it's for 2016 or 2017): their Dodge Monaco in Illinois State Police Livery!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwqu24OWc_/

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Apr 28 2016, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Cool wink.png

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Apr 29 2016, 04:45 AM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Member No.: 7

happy.png Love it, BUT for the realism they need to use the TwinSonic they used on the 1987 Ford LTD copcars as the lightbar they're using on this car is a strobe bar that wasn't out in 1978. I'll let them know this but I don't know if they'll listen, Also it should be red only not a clear one, ISP only used red lights back then although other Illinois police used NYPD style red/white/yellow on their lights.

They also could bring back the 1979 Plymouth GranFury and do it up as the 1976 Bicenntenial car as from 1976-1979 that was the exact same car except for year. :

user posted image
user posted image

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Apr 29 2016, 05:38 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

QUOTE (Paul Spain @ Apr 30 2016, 12:45 AM)
... it should be red only not a clear one ...

Believe me, thousands of collectors around the world are thinking exactly the same thing. When this model was released in 2008, the lightbar was a separate piece (as was the case with almost every Matchbox police car since the 90s). The Matchbox ranges from 2006 to 2011 were the best ever since Mattel bought them in 1997.

In 2012, a new design team was put in place (I think it was a new team) and their only focus was cost-cutting. From 2013 on, lightbars were made part of the windows, models were mostly plastic and the number of imaginary vehicles skyrocketed. Collectors around the world have been criticising Mattel ever since.

Thankfully, last year that design team was replaced with a whole new team. Unfortunately, 2016's range of models was pretty much set in stone, so the new team could only make minor changes. This team is actually interested in what collectors think; now they even have an official Instagram page (as you can see). They even asked collectors to suggest new models for 2017! They recently said that they may consider restoring separate lightbars in 2018.

I am also a collector and I have always wanted to be part of the design team, although I would rather Matchbox was bought by another company. I'm sure it would be possible to suggest more lightbar pieces.

About that Bicentennial car: in 2011 Matchbox made a police 5-car pack that had the Monaco in it. The livery was closely based on the ISP Bicentennial livery, although it wasn't the actual livery; just made to look similar without having to pay for a licence. Here's a picture:

user posted image

The lightbar is a thicker version of a piece that was first made in 1996, obviously based on the Whelen Edge. I've no idea why they didn't make an older-looking piece for it.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: May 18 2016, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

The latest 2016 5-pack just got released; and I'm very pleased that all vehicles follow a single theme -- from a real-life major police force! Here's a picture from the Lamley Group blog:

user posted image
Here's the full topic if you want to read it.

Of course, they had to ruin it somehow dry.png: they used an old generic model (the black SUV) and didn't give the Suburban a Vector (due to the above-mentioned lightbar issue), even though they have in the past.

Despite that; I'm still going to buy this 5-pack as soon as I see it, along with the ISP Monaco biggrin.png.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: May 18 2016, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Sweet. Finlly someone that knows how to do matchbox cars .

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Mar 18 2017, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

A while ago I finally found the NYPD 5-pack and bought it biggrin.png.

I also found another gem on Instagram today; check the corner of this post. You can see an Illinois State Police Interceptor happy.png. The afore-mentioned Monaco will be in the 2017 line-up; and it looks like it will have a modern companion as well smile.png. Maybe this year's police 5-pack will be ISP-themed.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll