P

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Toronto Police going all "stealth"...sort of
BoxCarRacer
Posted: Sep 8 2016, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 243

Article: http://www.citynews.ca/2016/09/07/exclusiv...e-stealth-like/

Just read this on the news this morning. It appears Toronto Police are phasing out the white cars and coloured markings. Reports suggest they are going to keep the same design, but switch to all grey vehicles which are commonly used as "stealth" units for traffic enforcement...Toronto Police confirm there will be changes but haven't confirmed the final design. So i guess there's still a possibility that the actual scheme will be changed too and not just the colours.

So basically these cars will pretty much be stealth units with actual roof mounted lightbars. I've seen a few of them on the street over the past couple months and was confused why a stealth unit had a lightbar. Now I know lol.

I don't really like this decision and think they should have both versions. You'll be losing the sense of officer presence on the streets now that they will blend in more with other cars on the road.

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
PM
XJ220
Posted: Sep 8 2016, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 9

Would this apply to all divisions of TPS? Do they have a separate HP or traffic branch? This must be especially fun when securing a road accident... 'Why does that piece of road light up red and blue? Oh, that's a car??!'

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Sep 8 2016, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Wow that nuts . Thy should have added some lights on the sides .It will be cool for pulling over people . But putting a lightbar on there and going steal come on .Slicktop yes . How stupped are thy . Thy just don't have the money to pay for the paint .

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Sep 8 2016, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (NFS Police Force @ Sep 8 2016, 05:28 PM)
Wow that nuts . Thy should have added some lights on the sides .It will be cool for pulling over people . But putting a lightbar on there and going steal come on .Slicktop yes . How stupped are thy . Thy just don't have the money to pay for the paint .

Chris windshield mounted spotlights are a rareity in America Jr. tongue.png I haven't figured out why but it seems very few dept.s have them.

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Sep 9 2016, 01:56 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Member No.: 75

They should go back to yellow cool.png. I never understood yellow as a police colour until recently, when I realised that it was really visible and it can look rather cool.

We had a similar thing a few years ago when the NZ police decided to get a few new cars in red and orange, for more visibility. The markings were not changed at all.

user posted image

More recently, they've added metallic orange and red to the mix. Not surprisingly, the coloured cars actually blend in with other traffic.

Seriously though; a lightbar on a stealth unit? That defeats the point of going stealth. I find it interesting that they didn't say why they were doing that in the first place.

PS: Spotlights are pretty much non-existent outside America.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Sep 9 2016, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

The lightbar is not too tall and rather clear. I am not sure you're going to notice it that quickly as long as it's not switched on.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BoxCarRacer
Posted: Sep 9 2016, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Sep 9 2016, 04:56 AM)
They should go back to yellow cool.png. I never understood yellow as a police colour until recently, when I realised that it was really visible and it can look rather cool.

We had a similar thing a few years ago when the NZ police decided to get a few new cars in red and orange, for more visibility. The markings were not changed at all.

user posted image

More recently, they've added metallic orange and red to the mix. Not surprisingly, the coloured cars actually blend in with other traffic.

Seriously though; a lightbar on a stealth unit? That defeats the point of going stealth. I find it interesting that they didn't say why they were doing that in the first place.

PS: Spotlights are pretty much non-existent outside America.

I think they stopped painting their cars yellow back then because yellow paint contained lead and it was having negative health effects on the people who painted them.
I don't see a lot of yellow cars on the streets today but most them that I do see are pretty faded from the sun laugh.png

--------------------
user posted image
PM
NFS Police Force
Posted: Sep 9 2016, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Webmaster

This was some weard paint work I saw. I was in S.C. user posted image I thought I was in another country . laugh.png There trucks have the same paint work . It seam like the bright colors are coming to the U.S.

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Sep 10 2016, 01:44 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Finally America is catching up tongue.png. I read somewhere about a small police department that decided to use Battenburgs and all-blue lights on its vehicles. I can't remember what state it was in and I can't find it anymore. Check out these ambulances from Connecticut.

Ambulances in NZ are going yellow now; hopefully this colour doesn't fade too much.

Back to the topic; I think it's important for a police force (and its cars) to be seen, which is why I don't really like clear lightbars that much. They look almost invisible without coloured lenses. Plus, the colours are richer through lenses.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Sep 10 2016, 02:19 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Now that SC Tahoe is really fascinating... but it will be a cold day in hell before CA cruisers are going to be painted anything else than black & white biggrin.png

And this is what German stealth units look like:

user posted image
http://bos-fahrzeuge.info/einsatzfahrzeuge...djaeger_-_FuStW

It's from the Military Police, though.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Sep 10 2016, 02:48 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Over here, that would stick out like a sore thumb laugh.png!

By the way, a handful of PDs in CA use other styles; Oxnard for example. They're certainly the vast minority, though. Depending on how black-and-white schemes are applied, they can look pretty cool cool.png.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Sep 12 2016, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (XJ220 @ Sep 10 2016, 10:19 AM)
Now that SC Tahoe is really fascinating... but it will be a cold day in hell before CA cruisers are going to be painted anything else than black & white biggrin.png

And this is what German stealth units look like:

user posted image
http://bos-fahrzeuge.info/einsatzfahrzeuge...djaeger_-_FuStW

It's from the Military Police, though.

Reminds me, I got a nice Feldjäger badge in my collection but it seems qualitywise they lack compared to standard polizei, Their badge seems to be lead and gold plated sad.png.

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Sep 13 2016, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Badge? You mean this one, by any chance?

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Sep 13 2016, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Webmaster

LOL I just saw this thy put a no smoking sign on the window . Who can smoke the guy is in cuffs . laugh.png Wow thy screwed up on there cars big time .

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
slego9
Posted: Sep 13 2016, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Members
Member No.: 229

I love the scheme of that TPS car but... that light bar is definitely stupid in my mind also if they did this they would need some more easily identifiable ones for car accidents and PR in my mind.

--------------------
(Insert awesome signature here)

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll