P

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What car do you drive?, I'm just curious.
Paul Spain
Posted: Aug 23 2016, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Aug 22 2016, 11:35 PM)
I must've forgotten that Germans are better drivers than Kiwis. Put an autobahn here and you might as well put another 0 on the road death toll now. The German police obviously enforce more than just speed and alcohol.

The Skyline GT-R is certainly rare, but searching for a Nissan Skyline on Trade Me turns up over 500 listings. It's one of the most popular fast saloons in this country.

Germans do mostly everything better LOL but yeah..Not to mention running out of gas on the Autobahn is illeagal too..The ADAC is rapidly ready to respond should this happen but I don't know if the polizei accompany them to give out a ticket for this offense.

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 23 2016, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (XJ220 @ Aug 24 2016, 03:00 AM)
In turn I keep forgetting there are non GT-R Skylines biggrin.png Though all of them are rare over here.

Are highways a mandatory exercise in your driving schools? Here they are, spent a few hours one day covering ca. 300 kilometres / 190 miles, top-speed was around 180 kph / 110 mph with the scholar being expected to drive that fast when reasonable and remain concentrated and in control. Not sure how much of an extra treatment highways and motorways receive in other countries, esp. considering the general (lame tongue.png) speed limits.

Open-road driving is tested during the licence tests, but we never cover those distances. We do have driving schools and tutors and I guess lessons can be as long as you want, but they're not compulsory huh.png. The Restricted Licence Practical Test takes 45 minutes, even though it was recently made more strict. I only had to do about 5 minutes on the open road, which is ridiculous, really, considering how much of New Zealand is open road.

Over here the maximum speed limit is 100 km/h (practically a crawl, eh? laugh.png), although most kiwi drivers do 105 to 110 and then complain when they get ticketed. The police only have a 4 km/h tolerance. Increasing the speed limit isn't a good idea on most State Highways, because the roads are often windy and made of tar seal. Asphalt is only used in and around built-up areas; and even then only in certain places.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 24 2016, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 9

QUOTE (Paul Spain)
Germans do mostly everything better LOL but yeah..Not to mention running out of gas on the Autobahn is illeagal too..The ADAC is rapidly ready to respond should this happen but I don't know if the polizei accompany them to give out a ticket for this offense.

You could actually even earn some 'points' in the national register. When your account is full, your license will be revoked. Makes sense. Running out of fuel is a rather stupid thing to happen (unless something's broken). I've even got a spare canister in my trunk, but never needed it and probably never will.

QUOTE (BrabusAMG)
Open-road driving is tested during the licence tests, but we never cover those distances.  We do have driving schools and tutors and I guess lessons can be as long as you want, but they're not compulsory huh.png.  The Restricted Licence Practical Test takes 45 minutes, even though it was recently made more strict.  I only had to do about 5 minutes on the open road, which is ridiculous, really, considering how much of New Zealand is open road.

Interesting. Not all of this stuff is part of the practical test, but an instructor should not let you apply for the test if you're really not good enough in either of the areas - Autobahn, country roads or city driving including relatively precise parking. And the right of way.

QUOTE (BrabusAMG)
Over here the maximum speed limit is 100 km/h (practically a crawl, eh? laugh.png), although most kiwi drivers do 105 to 110 and then complain when they get ticketed.  The police only have a 4 km/h tolerance.  Increasing the speed limit isn't a good idea on most State Highways, because the roads are often windy and made of tar seal.  Asphalt is only used in and around built-up areas; and even then only in certain places.

Not just practically. Wasting all that potential of your new ride wink.png I am even going to get speed index V winter tires this year so I do not have drive slower than necessary (we do not get Canadian winters, usually). Exceeding the speed limit by roughly 10 kph is expected over here, too happy.png

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 24 2016, 10:38 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

We have a demerit points system too. If you get 100 within 2 years, you lose your licence for 3 months. After that, you have to apply for a new one. Penalties can be rather pathetic here. It seems like the more dangerous something is, the less you get fined for it. Parking in a disabled-only space: $150. Speeding: $120-ish. Driving while using a phone: $80. Most traffic offences earn 20 to 35 points. What's the police's attitude to speeding in your country?

We don't get Canadian winters either, but the roads can get icy. Trouble is, you can't get the flash studded tyres that you get in Europe.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 25 2016, 07:24 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

The rules regarding studded tires (had to look that one up to make sure they are what we call 'Spikes') are not as uniform across Europe as you might think. In Germany, they were banned way before I was born with few exceptions.

The attitude towards speeding is somewhat ambivalent. Kind of often, you get the impression that speed traps are being used as a means of generating income for counties. Especially the static speed traps are pretty rare in rather rich Bavaria and much more common in some other federal states.

On the other side, fines are pretty low in comparison to other European countries as far as I am aware. Up to an exceeding of ca. 20 kph (after the tolerance of at least 3 kph has been subtracted) you pay 30 Euros or less. Then comes a serious bump with fines doubling, points being earned and immediate, temporal loss of your license becoming more and more likely. You'll lose it one to three months, beyond that you'll have to pass the so called 'idiot test' and as far as I can tell it's pretty unlikely you'll ever be allowed to drive a car again. Doesn't stop some people from doing so, though.

So, like I said, exceeding the limit by ca. 10 kph is common practice, not too rarely even more. Though speedos tend to display around 5 kph than you're actually doing, minus the 3 kph or so tolerance and offences can quickly become negligible unless you really exaggerate things.

Edit: just gave my car a spin today, after I had my tires changed to proper ones so I could finally see where the horsepower gets me. 222 kph. Subtract 5 for inaccuracy. 217 kph. Nice biggrin.png

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 12:37 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

It must be nice to live in a country where you don't lose your licence for that biggrin.png.

Over here, the police put speed camera vans (or patrol cars) at the bottom of a hill or on a long straight; i.e. places where nobody crashes but where they're likely to get people doing 5+ km/h over the limit dry.png. For some reason, high-crash-risk zones never get the same treatment; they just get signs saying "Slow Down: High Crash Rate" huh.png.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

At least these tactics are shared between NZ and Germany biggrin.png

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Member No.: 7

Here it's common to go 5 MPH over the limit, Like in 55 zones everyone goes 60, Police is fine with this but 10 over and they might stop you, At the very least they will start to follow you around to see what you're up to for going 10 over.

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 04:13 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Now I'm curious. What can one be up to with 10 mph over? A street race? A getaway?

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

The faster you go, the bigger the mess. That's the message that the NZ Transport Agency tries to get across with their TV ads. They have a point. At least it's better than the "Speed Kills" message.

In your countries, do the police pull you over for things like following too closely, not indicating and driving erratically? Here they usually don't; unless you're speeding as well. Often, the police drive as badly as everyone else.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Oct 10 2016, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

You may earn a ticket for following too closely, but it's not too common. I think you're most likely to be pulled over for (suspected) DUI. And excessive speeding, of course.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BoxCarRacer
Posted: Oct 12 2016, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (XJ220 @ Aug 23 2016, 10:00 AM)
In turn I keep forgetting there are non GT-R Skylines biggrin.png Though all of them are rare over here.

Are highways a mandatory exercise in your driving schools? Here they are, spent a few hours one day covering ca. 300 kilometres / 190 miles, top-speed was around 180 kph / 110 mph with the scholar being expected to drive that fast when reasonable and remain concentrated and in control. Not sure how much of an extra treatment highways and motorways receive in other countries, esp. considering the general (lame tongue.png) speed limits.

Driving tests here are a huge joke...it's sad. Our tests last about 15 minutes.

From what I can recall, this was my route to get my full license loool

https://goo.gl/maps/MQ8yHaFXtD72

--------------------
user posted image
PM
NFS Police Force
Posted: Oct 12 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

LOL we had a drive ed teacher . This girl did not see the stop sign .He made here get out of the car and say sorry to the stop sign .He was a cool dude . He loved the Wilson .He had me and my bro and then my sisters and he loved my sisters . We went to go see him and he was in a leg cast and a arm cast . laugh.png But he was still doing drive ed . We did find out that he did die he was a heavy man . sad.png

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Oct 13 2016, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

QUOTE (BoxCarRacer @ Oct 12 2016, 09:04 PM)

Are there any mandatory elements the test must contain? Here you'll have to park the car up to three times with limited corrections allowed, find a spot where you can safely turn the other way etc. and there's big attention on the right of way. The test lasts 45 minutes. Which can feel much longer biggrin.png

Your route on the other hand looks rather... relaxed?

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BoxCarRacer
Posted: Oct 13 2016, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (XJ220 @ Oct 13 2016, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (BoxCarRacer @ Oct 12 2016, 09:04 PM)

Are there any mandatory elements the test must contain? Here you'll have to park the car up to three times with limited corrections allowed, find a spot where you can safely turn the other way etc. and there's big attention on the right of way. The test lasts 45 minutes. Which can feel much longer biggrin.png

Your route on the other hand looks rather... relaxed?

It's all basic stuff... parallel parking, 3-point turn, emergency stop (which is just safely pulling over and putting on 4-way flashers LOL).

My highway portion was just the examiner telling me to do a couple lane changes!!

Our roads aren't safe. Dash cameras have become really popular here over the past few years. Here's some guy I captured driving up the wrong side of the road last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJESnvhfdWY

--------------------
user posted image
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll