P

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What car do you drive?, I'm just curious.
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 19 2016, 01:36 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 75

I believe there was a topic like this on the old NFS Police HQ, back when I didn't have my own car.

I finally managed to get a car yesterday; I've spent today washing and cleaning it before its first use. I'm pleased to say it's a car I've always wanted biggrin.png.

That got me thinking; what do the rest of you drive? You don't need to upload pictures; just say what it is if you like.

I once had a NZ-built 1990 Mitsubishi Lancer GL in Sarajevo White, with a 1300 cc four-pot and a 5-speed manual gearbox. It was a pretty good car actually. My current car has 50% more cylinders and twice the engine size (but only 4 speeds). It's a dream to drive and I love it biggrin.png. It has a few dents and scratches, but the price was good and I will be doing more work to it.

Here's a picture taken this evening:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 19 2016, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 9

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a 2.6 W201 over here. 4 speed means automatic? With an inline 6 engine? Not bad. But the transmission would make it a no-go for me tongue.png

I've got an Audi 80 Avant 2.6E. 5 speed manual gearbox, V6, FWD. Lots of space. Needs some work, like about every car of its age (it's from late '93).

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Aug 19 2016, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Nice car .Here in the U.S that would be a rich man car smile.png.I had a Durango .I put all my money into that car. It was a sweet. It was blue it had the sport pack . But with my medical problem I got into a crash sad.png I lost my car . Then I lost my job do to my medical problem. But I got disability now. I do have some money coming in to keep me going . But that suv saved my life and I had God on my side watching out for me . smile.png I am glad I have you all to . This site keep me going everyday and family to . biggrin.png

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 19 2016, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Yes, it's an auto. I've never really been keen on autos, but it's nearly impossible to find a manual Mercedes here. Unlike in Europe, people in NZ don't generally buy manuals. Plus, I live near a busy tourist town. A manual makes things complicated in town, especially if you stall.

Luckily, I've never had a crash before. I'd hate to think what would've happened in the Lancer. It had seat belts, but I don't know if it had any other safety feature. At least I have a safe car now smile.png.

W201s were quite popular here a while ago. I'm surprised that the 2.6 is so rare in Germany; I've seen more of the 2.6 than the 2.3. The 2.0 is still the most common, but I didn't want an under-powered car, especially since I live in the Southern Alps foothills. It has a great turning circle though biggrin.png.

Despite the number of American SUVs on our roads, I don't think I've ever seen a Durango. They prefer Jeeps and Chevs here.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Aug 19 2016, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Member No.: 7

I never could drive a stick so it has to be auto. I did have a silver 2005 Ford Taurus but I lost it in a crash. I hope to get a vehicle again soon now that I'm working and making good money but it seems just when I get close to $800.00 or so bucks bills I'd set aside to get that catch up and they are the type you can't skip (power,water,gas,and my court related charges) And then I'm back down to $400.00-$500.00 before I know it. sad.png .

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 20 2016, 03:05 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

I could never drive an automatic. I dislike those gearboxes just like any of those driver assists. I drive my car, not the other way around sleep.png

Generally, Germans and I think most Europeans prefer mid-size engines. Likely due to taxes which are based on displacement and ecological classification (at least in Germany). A W201 2.6 would have been too expensive for what it offers (incl. 'status', considering its nickname Baby-Benz), a W124 220E likely being a more efficient option.

My car also was rarely ordered with either of the V6 engines. Cool because it's a bit more unique that way, but it also makes spare-parts more expensive. But that's worth it biggrin.png

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
slego9
Posted: Aug 20 2016, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Members
Member No.: 229

I don't even have a license... in 8 months hopefuly....

--------------------
(Insert awesome signature here)

PMUsers Website
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 20 2016, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

What's the driving age in NS? Over here it's 16 now, but I got my licence at 15; just before the law changed. We have 3 licence stages here: Learner, Restricted, Full. It takes at least 18 months to get from start to finish (and that's the legal minimum).

I much prefer manuals on open roads, but I find an auto very useful in town. I'm getting used to it; since I've always driven manuals.

The only vehicle-specific taxes we have are Road User Charges applied to diesel vehicles. Despite that, diesels are still cheaper to run because petrol is always more expensive. Big engines are becoming less popular only because they're not fuel-efficient; especially when 95-octane is around $2 per litre. The worst part? That's the highest octane you can get outside the biggest cities!

You know, I looked at a '93 Audi 80 2.6E some time ago; when I was still searching. It was saloon and had an automatic. The seats were quite comfy smile.png.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 21 2016, 03:17 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Did it have remote locks? Mine does. Infrared remote (as opposed to today's radio controls) which I still find awesome considering the car's age biggrin.png

Interesting to see that you pay about as much for fuel as we do. That's of course another reason for wanting smaller engines, but depending on how much you drive per year etc., the taxes and probably insurance costs can have the bigger impact. Also, taxes on Diesel cars are MUCH higher (around twice as high), while a liter of Diesel costs around 1 Euro currently (1,55 NZD / 1,13 USD).

You may obtain your license in Germany at 17. That's the so-called accompanied driving, an adult with license and a certain amount of driving experience has to be with you all the time until you turn 18. Then there are two years of probation or probation until you're 21, whichever lasts longer. Seems driving is more restricted in the country of the Autobahn happy.png

I also find manuals to be useful in town. Especially in comparison to old auto transmissions, you can launch off the traffic lights much quicker (can be reasonably useful, I swear!)

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
slego9
Posted: Aug 21 2016, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Members
Member No.: 229

well.... the law changes in 2017 when I am getting my license so I will use that system.

you can get your learners at 16 then you can get your newly licensed License after taking a driving and writen test, you can take this test 12 months after you get your learners (6 months if you take drivers ed). 6 months after that you can get your Restricted License 12 months after you get your restricted license you can get your full license after taking a defensive driving course.

its an extremely stupid and confusing system.

--------------------
(Insert awesome signature here)

PMUsers Website
BoxCarRacer
Posted: Aug 21 2016, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 243

Congrats on the new car!

I bought a Subaru Impreza 2.5i hatch as my first car back in 2010 when I started my job. We don't get much snow here in Toronto anymore, but when we do, it's super fun!

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
PM
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 22 2016, 02:16 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Thanks! happy.png

I see quite a few of those Imprezas around here too; they're very useful for the 5 ski fields in my region. They look rather smart too cool.png. Unfortunately, we haven't had much snow here either. The ski fields had to open much later than usual. They'll probably have to close earlier too, which will be bad for the local economy.

@ slego9:

That system is almost identical to ours. You can get your Learner Licence here at 16 after a written test (called a theory test). After 6 months, you can upgrade to a Restricted Licence after passing a practical test (actual driving). 6 months is rather optimistic; it took me 5 years. On a Restricted, you can drive on your own but not before 5 AM or after 10 PM. You can't take passengers unless a fully licensed driver is with you; like on a Learner's.

After 6 months on your Restricted, you can take a defensive driving course. If you do, you only need to wait another 6 months (instead of 12) to go for a Full Licence. In my area, they hold courses at the Highlands racing circuit biggrin.png.

@ Nils:

I'm not surprised at those restrictions. After all, you can't have inexperienced young drivers travelling at 130+ on the autobahn! How many people already die every day on those things? Here, insurance premiums are more expensive if you're under 25; especially if your car is turbocharged or bigger than 2.5 Litres (or worse, both: think Skyline).

PS: I don't remember anything about the Audi's locks.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 22 2016, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Aug 22 2016, 12:16 PM)
After all, you can't have inexperienced young drivers travelling at 130+ on the autobahn!  How many people already die every day on those things?

Less than 1.0. High speeds do not necessarily equal high risk.

A Skyline might be more expensive to insure because of its rarity, I suppose. Oh man, too many factors influencing this bill. Taxes are way less complicated tongue.png

@ BoxCarRacer
That's a nice ride, and very suited to the conditions you may encounter, eh? biggrin.png Though I very much like my ride's space. I will probably never switch to anything else than a wagon for primary car.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Aug 22 2016, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

I must've forgotten that Germans are better drivers than Kiwis. Put an autobahn here and you might as well put another 0 on the road death toll now. The German police obviously enforce more than just speed and alcohol.

The Skyline GT-R is certainly rare, but searching for a Nissan Skyline on Trade Me turns up over 500 listings. It's one of the most popular fast saloons in this country.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Aug 23 2016, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

In turn I keep forgetting there are non GT-R Skylines biggrin.png Though all of them are rare over here.

Are highways a mandatory exercise in your driving schools? Here they are, spent a few hours one day covering ca. 300 kilometres / 190 miles, top-speed was around 180 kph / 110 mph with the scholar being expected to drive that fast when reasonable and remain concentrated and in control. Not sure how much of an extra treatment highways and motorways receive in other countries, esp. considering the general (lame tongue.png) speed limits.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll