P

Pages: (18) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> About paint schemes, bland ones and the cool designs, Moved posts from somewhere else
XJ220
Posted: Jun 2 2014, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 9

Those new Tatra 815-7s remind me of the SIMBA, hence my question. Pretty nice vehicles it seems. In Germany 6x6 trucks are rather scarce, this is a nice example in use in a colliery.

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Jun 2 2014, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

That SIMBA is twice as long and twice as wide. laugh.png

Well, almost. tongue.png Still good enough excuse for me to post the video. cool.png

But it always did remind me of Oshkosh HEMTT based trucks. And maybe little bit of this.
I'm not aware though, of anybody using it as crash tender, yet. But I already saw it as snorkel truck similar to these.

4x4 is most common here, with all these MANs and Renaults replacing old Liaz and Avia trucks, but 148 and 815 ponds were 6x6 by default, and are revered and worshipped, because Tatra climbs walls.

Usually volunteer brigades also prefer 4x4 with double cab, for its 5+1 configuration and wide range of equipment it can carry, but double cab 6x6 are rare sight. Some rural volunteer brigades went as far as acquiring old 8x8 chassis from army, to get ultimate fire truck.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jun 3 2014, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Be it Oshkosh or SIMBA, the general shape of the 815-7 is quite similar IMO.

I think it's not really uncommon for Fire Brigades and similar organizations to acquire military vehicles, you can find examples in Germany, too. This or this, for instance. The same base vehicle has been used for the Buffalo crash tender.

And have you seen the newer Zetros already? Huge thing, the big brother of the Unimog.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Jun 3 2014, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

It's not uncommon for professional fire brigade to have such equipment.

These container and lorry trucks from my previous post (which are closest to army 815-7) got assigned to regional fire brigades across the country, and also to Rescue Corps in Hlučín (akin to your THW).

But for example that Tatra 6x6 special is 400 000 € worth, one of a kind. Belonging to rural volunteer corps. I can count such examples on my fingers.

As for the Zetros. There is one used by company fire brigade in northern Bohemia, but it's rarity.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jun 4 2014, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

The Zetros is rare over here as well. Probably too specialized to be of use everywhere.

And the vehicles that get assigned to units in the whole country in Germany are quite lame in comparison to yours ^^
There are these hose carriers, these trucks which carry equipment for decontamination of people and these vans filled with equipment for measuring NBC contamination.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Jun 5 2014, 03:14 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

I'd say that we surely got lucky with the Tatra craze lately. After all, putting aside that Tatra is one of the oldest car brands worldwide, and their cars are rightfully legendary, Kopřivnice is local interest, so supporting them should be obvious.

Unfortunately, reality is still somewhere else. dry.png

As I already mentioned, Prague is trying Volvo now (maybe because last order of Mercedes-Benz trucks was critized to the hell and back, but that was more the fault of bodywork). At the "globe management" tongue.png in Zlín, Renault is the only option. Brno on the other hand seems to prefer MAN trucks. And MAN was also brand of choice for last countrywide fleet regeneration from few years back. Ostrava already got Econic as their primary vehicle of choice, and rest of the region gets either Atego, or one of the last Terrnos. Both 810 and 158 trucks are still too new to play any role in the effort.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jun 5 2014, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Over here it's a nationwide mix of MAN, Mercedes and Iveco. Stuttgart seems to be unsure as to whether replace the old SKs with the new Axor or with MANs, though they bought more of the latter if I'm not mistaken. Nürnberg stays with MAN and Hannover with Econics. And the hometown of Magirus of course uses Iveco.

The only 'exotics' I can think of are Karlruhe's Scanias which look pretty cool and make for a nice change from the usual brands.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jun 5 2014, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Member No.: 75

Wow, fire engines in Europe make NZ's look really boring.

Over here our newer appliances are Ivecos (smaller tenders) and Scanias (larger tenders and turntable ladders). Hazmat trucks are DAF LFs (older ones were Ivecos) and sometimes we even have Mercedes-Benz Econics, but they're only for turntable ladders and snorkels. The newest one I've ever seen is a 2013 Iveco stationed in my home town.

http://www.111emergency.co.nz/FIRE/Applian...324/GRQ324b.JPG

Before the mid-90s, nearly every fire engine here was either Japanese or built here by Mills-Tui. The Mills-Tui cabs were very good, according to one of the local firefighters. That Mitsubishi in my last post is a Mills-Tui. They're easily recognisable because they all look exactly the same. They were built on Mitsubishi, Dennis, Volvo or Hino chassis. The Scanias started coming in the late 80s.

The rural fire engines here aren't that flash in comparison to yours. They're all Japanese here, and they're either utes or small tenders like the ones in Australia. They should bring the Land Rovers back.

I will agree that the engines in the Czech Republic are probably the coolest in the world. If only we had those here...

That bright red colour on those Czech engines is what I had in mind for New Zealand, but if it fades easily then it's probably not a good choice. NZ is a very sunny country, and there is a hole in the ozone layer directly above us.

By the way, That riot vehicle looks more like it belongs with the Technisches Hilfswerk judging by its colour. It looks good, though.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Jun 6 2014, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

When it comes to fire trucks in Czech Republic, we definitely benefit from being EU member, because not so long ago it were only large towns and villages with good connections, to get any new equipment, and mainstay of the fire corps were Tatra 815 and Liaz 101. Not to mention that rural areas are to this day relying on Tatra 148 and Skoda 706 thoroughly repaired over the years (or used until they fell apart).

Avia is also still a common sight, though usually in combination with larger firetrucks, or used by small rural stations.

Luckily we are big town, with almost 80k population, so besides large station of regional fire brigade in downtown, our volunteer corps (City) have Renault just like the one depicted (only with older red/blue strobe lightbar), similar Renault is also in neighbouring village (once part of the town), where it replaced their Liaz in 2007, and our other station (Životice) have Tatra 815, which replaced old Avia in 2010. On the other hand, another neighbouring village still have old Skoda 706 and also vintage Tatra 805.

As for the firetrucks painted in luminous red, that's specific for regional fire brigade of Moravian Silesia, which is very autonomous, and never really let General Directorate to talk into their matters.

I won't ever forget how bland firetrucks became, once the city and county structure changed into the regional one. These weird times, when it was not even allowed to have HASIČI writen on the trucks, and lightbar of the choice was almost violet ELVY VOAZ! Since then, Fire and Rescue Corps got new general director, who seems to be reasonable guy, but the damage was already done, and as result, half of the fleet of Prague Metropolitan Fire Brigade is left only with mandatory wide decal on the front, and tiny lettering on the doors, while second half is still retaining shield of the metropolitan corps, as reminiscence of the days gone.

Some volunteer fire brigades are also still not afraid to put on their vehicle local coat of arms, or company shield, or come up with modern paint scheme, though it's not specified in any way in the regulations.

But I think that more important is functional marking, that stands out in traffic, unambiguously identifies the vehicle, and as well represents the company in public, over standard marking, that abides to the regulations, but is nevertheless based on paint scheme from seventies, and good only to not get obstructed by inspections.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jun 8 2014, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

We don't have a very good selection of European manufacturers here. We definitely don't have any Eastern trucks like Tatra, Kamaz or GAZ. Oddly, the only Eastern-made cars that we ever got here were from the Soviet Union. That's because the New Zealand Dairy Board (now called Fonterra) exported milk and butter to the USSR (NZ makes up 30% of the world's dairy industry), but instead of being paid in money, the Dairy Board got paid in cars and tractors. We got Nivas, 2103s and 2107s. I've seen quite a few of those. Also, for some reason, FSO once decided to export 150 Polonez hatchbacks to NZ. I've never seen one, though.

I think NZ has quite a close relationship with Japan. It's also closer, which helps a bit. We get loads of used imports from Japan, because it's too expensive to maintain old cars there. Imports are very common here. We call them "Jap imports". They're so common that we even get used fire engines occasionally, like this one:

http://www.111emergency.co.nz/FIRE/Southern41-49/ANH419c.JPG

It even has the original siren!

By the way, a population of 80,000 is called a town in Europe? The town where I live has a population of 7,000. The nearest city has a population of 50,000, although it does have a cathedral.

The local fire brigade here want to replace its 30-year old tanker (its picture was attached to one of my earlier posts). They have bought a Scania 4-axle ex-Fonterra milk tanker, which carries probably ten times more water that the old Hino. However, bureaucracy is getting in the way a bit; they've had it for nearly a year and it hasn't even been re-painted!

Back to the subject of police cars, I found a picture from the official police website that shows the four police cars at the unveiling of the new colours.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

I guess what is called a town and what a city depends on the country you're in. In legal terms, a population of 1000+ is necessary for a town in Germany. Unsure where cities start. But for me, a town requires a bit more than a thousand people, that's just a large village wink.png

That Isuzu has an interesting chassis with its two steering axles and a single rear axle. So far I only knew such a setup from the Mercedes LP 333. And perhaps from wheeled tanks like the Fuchs.

Over here we have and had quite some eastern vehicles in official service due to the former GDR. This is a repainted squad car and this is this is what they looked like originally. The fire brigades had a mixture of vehicles the GDR developed and produced itself as well as some from Czechoslovakia, like the Tatra 148, Tatra 815 (which looks pretty badass IMO happy.png ...and actually dates from the time after the Soviet Union fell apart so it was produced in Czechia) and even something more specialized like this crane.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Jun 9 2014, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Just a matter of speech. My hometown have 77k and is statutory city. District (county) seat have 57k and is statutory city too. Former land capital of Czech Silesia, Opava have 58k. Now, regional capital, Ostrava have 300k, and is third largest city in Czech Republic. Not to mention that we already lost 100K status that we had until the early nineties. We are called outskirts... tongue.png

Also that Isuzu reminds me one of these 6x6 military specials that I mentioned before (in this case based on semi-trailer tractor). Speaking of ex-army specials, right next to Rescue Corps in Hlučín and Zbiroh, we can't also forget about Railways Fire and Rescue Service, which also have interesting 8x8 Tatra in their fleet. And it's interesting that you mentioned the crane, because I ran into its image literally as you were typing down your post, while looking for this exotique foxhound.

And as for new patrol cars, these are latest addition to our traffic police (highway patrol). This weekend I'm going to Ostrava for their police day, so I'll try to get some good photos of their new cars there, and it might be just as impressive, as three years ago, when they celebrated 20 years (funny thing being, that I got just as good spot back then, so have something from "my" point of view wink.png

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jun 11 2014, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

From what I know, a town has to have a Cathedral before it becomes a city. Well, I think that's how it works here, anyway. 7,000 people isn't very small for a New Zealand town; Motueka is the third-largest centre in the Nelson-Tasman region, behind Richmond and Nelson.

It's interesting that Ostrava has their police day this weekend, because this Saturday is the National Police Open Day in NZ. I will try to go to it. The nearest participating station is in Nelson.
http://www.police.govt.nz/openday

Those Superb police cars are superb! They look very smart indeed. Maybe we'll get them here after Holden sadly shuts down sad.png

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jun 13 2014, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Those Superbs really look nice, but their 45° coverage seems to be pretty weak? Not that highways contained that many intersections...

And the Austrians of course have to terrorize everyone with their Techno-TechnoDesign ^^

@ Max: I hope the world of today is sufficiently secularized to not make town/city status dependent on the presence of a certain type of church huh.png

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jun 18 2014, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

What do you mean by Austrian Techno-Design?

I think the requirements for city status probably have to do with population now that the world (and New Zealand in particular) is getting less and less religious. It was probably an English tradition for a city to have a cathedral. Nelson, Invercargill, Timaru, Christchurch, Wellington, Dunedin, Hamilton and Auckland are all cities and they all have cathedrals. Christchurch doesn't really have one anymore; it was badly damaged in the earthquakes and can't be used. Although they did get a famous architect to make a temporary replacement cathedral out of cardboard.

The police Open Day was fantastic. The whole event was outside. They had the orange police car on display (it isn't the nicest colour) and they also had the booze bus and an ambulance and two fire engines on display. I got to try on the stab-proof vest and the hat, which was very cool. I also got a ride in a white Commodore Omega police car.

They also had a display for the Armed Offenders Squad and the riot police in a separate building. I took a photo of the riot gear they wore here in 1980. It doesn't look like much. Sorry for the bad quality; the camera doesn't take inside photos very well. I made it smaller so that it wouldn't be so bad.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (18) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll