Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Problem re-installing HS on my main computer, It worked last time but not now
BrabusAMG
Posted: Dec 23 2015, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 75

For some reason, HS will not install on my computer. I had installed it before, but I must have uninstalled it ages ago because I have it on another computer.

Today I tried to re-install it, but it kept getting frozen on this file: Data\feart\5si.qfs. When it reaches that file, the setup freezes.

I've no idea why that would happen. I've checked the disc for scratches. This is quite unusual because HS has worked on every computer I've installed it on, including the one I'm installing it on again!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Dec 23 2015, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Update:

Now it freezes on data\feart\6go.qfs. Either way, it fails at 73%. I've managed to do a minimum installation and it works so far. I still can't do a typical or full installation, though.

I also can't install addons or mods, since it's running directly from the CD.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Dec 23 2015, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Here try this https://transfer.pcloud.com/download.html?c...9HbRe81spSRKVpk This is the whole nfshs games . I did this so you can trust it . You will need the game disk to run it .

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Dec 24 2015, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

I think this is why I uninstalled it a long time ago.

I normally use my old computer for HS. I also use it for HP and IISE, which won't work on my newer computer. Maybe it's because it's 64-bit?

At least I have a completely original version of HS on something.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jan 2 2016, 06:05 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 9

I don't recall having problems installing it on a 64 bit OS.

Could still be minimal wear or 'corrosion' on the disk. I'd try it again on the other PC or at least another drive (some are better at detecting/fixing disc errors than others).

And create a digital image of the CD as a personal backup.

...unlikely to be the problem, but I suppose you do have enough free HDD space? wink.png

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jan 2 2016, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

My laptop has a 500 GB HDD with 265 GB of free space left. I think that's enough. laugh.png

I've been using HS on my other PC (a Windows XP desktop) every day for the past few days with no problems.

I haven't tried making an image of the HS disc. I have a friend who works in IT; he tried that many times when he owned the disc and he reckons it's impossible. He's the one who gave HS to me; he never played it, because he hated it (his loss, my gain tongue.png ). He also tried making copies and images of that disc when he had it; he has never succeeded.

He's staying with me at the moment; maybe I should ask him to try again, but if he's never managed to do it before, I doubt it'll work this time.

I have managed to install it; but I had to do a minimum installation, which means I can't install mods or add-ons. I think that may be why I uninstalled it the first time. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember. I have it on my old desktop (by that I mean old; from 2001), which I'm also using to make my projects.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jan 5 2016, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 9

I have two physical original copies of the game on my shelf as well as multiple backups ^^

Buying another disc off of eBay or Amazon or whatever is not an option?

EDIT: Have you tried running the setup in compatibility mode?

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jan 6 2016, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

I have tried compatibility mode, but it still doesn't work. I have a feeling that HS simply will not run on my laptop with anything but a minimum installation. That could be the reason why I uninstalled it in the first place a few years ago.

The IT guy I mentioned earlier said the game was temperamental when he gave it to me (that was before I got the laptop). He was very surprised when told that the game worked on every computer in the house. It didn't on most of his!

I wonder if it would work better on Windows 98. I'll be replacing this 4.5-year-old laptop with a bespoke desktop. I'm thinking of installing a secondary OS (Windows 98 SE) in addition to Windows 10 (which is possible, by the way).

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
NFS Police Force
Posted: Mar 31 2018, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Webmaster

Member No.: 6

Floppy disk how old is your computer ? Thy never did nfshs on floppy and the nfshs server has been shut down for years .

--------------------
NFS Police Force
Webmaster
Chief Of Police
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll