P

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HS ColdWar mod
Dark One
Posted: Oct 3 2014, 04:34 PM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Oct 3 2014 @ 02:49 AM)
I must say, I like the blue colour of that VB Moskvitch. I've no idea why anyone would have yellow police cars. Still, I guess it's more noticeable than the 70s NZ police livery

In seventies, yellow police cars were common sight in Ontario and Quebec, some Australian states still use yellow police cars to this day, and we can't forget the yellow stripped patrol cars from UK, which started this design change in the first place.

QUOTE (Paul Spain @ Oct 2 2014 @ 10:17 PM)
This is VERY intresting, Did N.Z. have some official trade with either U.S.S.R. or Czechoslavakia (which is where the Tesla siren is made)? Or did they just decide to use them on their own?

It's similar. But I would say it's just the coincidence. Or maybe it was in the use by the late sixties already, and our guys were the ones adopting it. Keep on mind that the older cars with Polish Elektra beacons still had the electromechanical siren.

Also thank God some has the black Tesla..The white ones are just plain ugly

Lets agree, that we won't agree. Also, early version even had steel siren casing. White and gray ones are now considered rare, and the black version is the most common one.

And as for your image, I already mentioned elsewhere that it is incorrect replica. And even though sources are confirming patrol cars with the letting over the both doors, such examples can by counted on both hands, because it was not following the regulations. They could have literally got their cars in any colors they felt like, I can confirm even cyan and orange patrol cars. But placement and design of the lettering was something they better got to follow. Moreover, the stripe on the Moskvitch is supposed to go all the way up, not bellow the doorhandles.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 5 2014, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

So the stripe goes right along the door handles area then? Ok.

Also I wonder if they had the fan drove siren mounted into Tesla siren/lights? I have saw pics of those on OLD cars (like the 1959 Volga M21) Though as you said most had single Polish light or even the bigger F.E.R. gumball.

I will move the stripe up some on the Moskvitch..I also am working on a nice Moskvitch 408 base. Oddly enough most of the police models use the 2 headlight version but the car came with both 2 and 4 headlight versions.
user posted image

user posted image

I don't know if VB used it too but I have to assume so..Why use the 1972+ 412 and not the older 408 huh.png ? And if so did they use both versions or only the 2 headlight as well?

--------------------
I'm 10-80..All units 10-0!

Enjoying this car very much :D

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Dark One
Posted: Oct 8 2014, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Super V.I.P

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (Paul Spain @ Oct 5 2014, 06:03 PM)
So the stripe goes right along the door handles area then? Ok.

Also I wonder if they had the fan drove siren mounted into Tesla siren/lights? I have saw pics of those on OLD cars (like the 1959 Volga M21) Though as you said most had single Polish light or even the bigger F.E.R. gumball.

You can see the difference between most of the replica cars, that were made by the Moskvitch fans, and historically accurate ones (which for now exists at least in three examples, one with gray siren, one with black siren, and another "semi-legit" one with LB-3 beacon, and small blue flashers added on the front bumper besides the foglights), on the car you posted.

Actual Czechoslovak patrol cars had the stripe going all the way up, following the side line of the car including the tailfins, while most of the fan replica had the narrow stripe following only the profile under the door handles and going down to the taillights. Which is, more likely, the way Hungarians were marking theirs.

I will move the stripe up some on the Moskvitch..I also am working on a nice Moskvitch 408 base. Oddly enough most of the police models use the 2 headlight version but the car came with both 2 and 4 headlight versions.

That comes with the two headlights being the basic model, while double headlights were considered the "luxury edition".

I don't know if VB used it too but I have to assume so..Why use the 1972+ 412 and not the older 408 huh.png ? And if so did they use both versions or only the 2 headlight as well?

I'm not sure, maybe they had some here and there for testing, but through the sixties they were using only Volga 21, where they needed large cars, or Skoda 1202 and Octavia station wagons for anything else. Not to mention that the whole Moskvitch order could have been more of the political deal, especially after commie incompetence killed our very own Skoda 720 and Skoda 1000 was deemed unsuitable for duty.

--------------------
user posted image
[ - MAINTAIN RIGHT - ]
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Oct 8 2014, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Member No.: 75

This is VERY intresting, Did N.Z. have some official trade with either U.S.S.R. or Czechoslavakia (which is where the Tesla siren is made)? Or did they just decide to use them on their own?

NZ did indeed have official trade with the USSR and possibly other Eastern Bloc countries. The New Zealand Dairy Board (now called Fonterra) exported mutton and butter to the Soviet Union. The USSR paid for these imports by sending Lada 2107s, 2104s, 2105s and Nivas over here. I still see a few of these on the roads here. Apparently they once served as taxis. This carried on until 1990.

Maybe there was a trade deal with Poland as well, because in the mid-80s a batch of 150 FSO Polonez hatchbacks was sent here. I've never seen one, though.

The siren itself was actually manufactured by the New Zealand company Electronic Alarms Industries.

It's similar. But I would say it's just the coincidence. Or maybe it was in the use by the late sixties already, and our guys were the ones adopting it. Keep on mind that the older cars with Polish Elektra beacons still had the electromechanical siren.

Either way is possible. I'm not sure when Electronic Alarms Industries started making their version. It might have been in the 70s; I don't know. Before that, emergency vehicles here had electro-mechanical sirens.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Sirius-R
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 164

Paul, can you send me the models of all the cars (with all the liveries) (including USSR Carrera) of this mod? It seems that I'm struck with "I can do better or as good using less polygons and/or less texture space" feeling, so I'd like to see if I'm correct. If I am - I most likely will suggest you to delay the mod's release date until I finish my improvements.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

QUOTE (Sirius-R @ Oct 14 2014, 04:42 AM)
Paul, can you send me the models of all the cars (with all the liveries) (including USSR Carrera) of this mod? It seems that I'm struck with "I can do better or as good using less polygons and/or less texture space" feeling, so I'd like to see if I'm correct. If I am - I most likely will suggest you to delay the mod's release date until I finish my improvements.

happy.png Sure. Can you do tracks too or no? I have a D.D.R. track finished and I'm working on a U.S.S.R. city track.

Others I'm kind of at a dead end with til I find good replacements sad.png

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Sirius-R
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Sorry, but I only work on (low poly) cars. sad.png
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

QUOTE (Sirius-R @ Oct 15 2014, 03:51 AM)
Sorry, but I only work on (low poly) cars. sad.png

Ok. I'll get them together..Will be a BIG file though as there is 7 countries of police.

U.S.S.R., Poland,Hungary,Romania,D.D.R.,Czechoslavakia,and Bulgaria.

Most of these bases are low poly..Some are NOT texture friendly and I had to do alot of remapping and resizing.

Also if you can make them better 1 BIG thing..Please don't make them like you did the Duquoin Metro Police FordCrown Vic laugh.png .

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Sirius-R
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

That particular CVPI... I will be thankful for the rest of my days if you will never ever remind me of it. Once I'm back to my laptop, I'm taking its lightbar off (which, thankfully, turned out rather good) and erasing any sight of its existence. I'm NOT making anything like that ever again.
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

QUOTE (Sirius-R @ Oct 15 2014, 05:13 AM)
That particular CVPI... I will be thankful for the rest of my days if you will never ever remind me of it. Once I'm back to my laptop, I'm taking its lightbar off (which, thankfully, turned out rather good) and erasing any sight of its existence. I'm NOT making anything like that ever again.

wink.png

As a heads up I plan on redoing it too..The base wasn't too friendly with the stripe..Nils's CrownVic is way superb and will be more friendly. It's also way lower poly cool.png .

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Jan 28 2015, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

About my statement on the NZ Police's spartan liveries ...

Here's a picture of a genuine police car from 1975:

http://www.111emergency.co.nz/POLICE/Patro...066/JN2066c.JPG

It's a Holden Kingswood, in case you were wondering what it was.

The sirens weren't the only things that were similar to the Eastern Bloc. That's quite a change from the American-style cars of the '50s and '60s.

Here's a video of an accurate replica of a 1983 Commodore Police car (ignore the background music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdVujagPdCM

On the other hand, the traffic police here (the Ministry of Transport) in the '70s and '80s were still American-style, like this 1974 Holden Belmont V8:

http://www.111emergency.co.nz/Police/Vintage/GB1845.JPG

Why don't they still use V8s? I've no idea.

Footnote: I'm having trouble putting videos in a post like you do.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
XJ220
Posted: Jan 30 2015, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 9

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Jan 29 2015, 01:25 AM)
Why don't they still use V8s?  I've no idea.

Because they prefer efficiency? More cylinders/displacement needn't necessarily equal more power.

QUOTE (BrabusAMG @ Jan 29 2015, 01:25 AM)
Footnote: I'm having trouble putting videos in a post like you do.

I edited your post to include the embedded video. Just edit it to see its source-code wink.png

--------------------
user posted image
The official Birthday Man.

Guess the Police Car Challenge
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Jun 19 2015, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Ok..I got 2 wonderful models I bought a long time ago when I got my taxes back..I was tricked..they claimed they was around 8000 polys each but they are way higher..But could likely be cut down..who's free to help me reduce these? Don't worry about wheels and the steering wheel..I plan to replace those with way lower poly ones from other cars, Also It might be possible to change the : OC to a lower poly one from another car.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Paul Spain
Posted: Oct 13 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Adminstrator

Alot has happened since I last posted here, new cars added to the mod and improovements as well.

I'd like to kick this off with a bit of humor first, I feel like such a FOOL biggrin.png tongue.png .

Ok, those of you who have downloaded any of my Volkspolizei vehicles might notice I always used Berlin( 00- _ _ _ _ ) on license plates. Despite the fact the track I made to DDR is a small country town about like HomeTown but with a forrest,This was because I knew only that district, I knew they had more but didn't know them all,Just Berlin.

Well guess what? The help needed was literally right at my finger tips, It's in my Volkspolizei rules,regulations,and tactics manual I have (August 1982) laugh.png . So had I bothered to read through the WHOLE book instead of just reading through the good stuff chapter:

user posted image

Here are the districts, This will make it possible to change the license plates on those cars and make more suitable ones for what they are patroling based on town populations, I will try to find a town on Wikipedia that matches up with the DDR track size and population wise and change the license plate to the district that serves that town.

user posted image

AND, A few days ago I was chatting with my pal Alex Ginzburg on FaceBook, I showed him the Lada 2106 Soviet Militia GAI cars I made from Arman's, All was correct except for 3 things, He said I need to edit the DDR lightbar, For what ever reason (likely just to stand out from the DDR) Soviets bent the plates you mount lights to up to angle them..So I corrected that.

user posted image

Then Alex said I need to remove the GAI ovals from the hood, They go on the trunk ONLY, I told him I was using pics of a model car I found on Google (Volga M24 I believe) that had the ovals on the hood and trunk, He said those models are junk..Don't use those as guides..Then he also said I have the stripe too low..so I corrected that.

user posted image

In other news ,Wasn't easy but I did manage to put a actual police uniform on the driver of the VoPo Lada 2106 and give it plates (which I will change to something else now that I have the district list) I didn't bother with sticking a visor hat on the driver, I'd have no room to map it out:

user posted image

On a side note I've reshaped and updated the F.E.R. lightbar too,It's 100% accurate now vs the older versions I was using that was just rails and blocky plates and wasn't too good but it was all I could muster up tinkering with parts, Now I have everything right wink.png .

I will continue to try adding uniforms and plates to the other Lada 2106 police cars but it's not easy as Arman used BIG pics for the headlights and tailights that take up alot of room, And remapping them to smaller pics is such a pain, I might however be able to redo and remap the body TGA and it's simple, As these cars are built Nils's style with a full skeleton and lines. So I'll see what I can do.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
BrabusAMG
Posted: Oct 14 2016, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Moderator Administrator

Those look like high-detail bases. What's the poly count?

Maybe one day in the far future I might like to revamp a Lada 2107 base. I don't know why, but I like them. They were also sold new here, so sometimes I get to see old Ladas, usually Nivas biggrin.png.

By the way, they were always referred to as VAZs in their home market (but you probably knew that).

Also, how high-poly are those Volgas you posted earlier? I can imagine one of those in HP2 happy.png.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll